Friday, January 14, 2011

Learning to Let Go and Technology's Role

As part of my renewed commitment to letting go of things in my life that cloud what is truly important, and in an effort to focus on my priorities of faith, family and friends,I decided on New Year's Day to give up my Facebook page, my twitter account and all the fluff propaganda emails from my home email account. I can only describe the last two weeks as liberating. I have found time to pray each day, to do a daily devotional, and to exercise by practicing Yoga and meditating. I don't miss those things that used to occupy hours of my day and I almost resent when other people, even those who are well meaning, bring them back into my view. I am trying very hard to just "Be still and know that HE(emphasis mine) is God." Psalm 46:10. The funny thing is that most of the people in my life seem to be threatened by this difference that they see in me and find it disconcerting. There is a part of me that feels I need to share with them why I am not doing some of the things I used to do, but to do so almost seems to cheapen the decisions I have made and the reasons for them.

In a world where being connected is almost an obsession, choosing to live without the constant chatter is seen as odd and unaccepted. For instance, I was having a conversation with someone at work the other day and when I looked down at their desk the person had their Iphone, Ipad and laptop all on and connected. I jokingly made a comment about how connected the person was and it lead to a conversation where the person shared with me that God had actually convicted them about their dependence on technology and the need for their gadgets. Her Iphone just shut off the other day on the way home and she was in a panic by the time she got there because she was afraid she might have missed a call from work, or someone might have emailed her. And, this after having worked a twelve hour day! I know this person's heart and I know that her faith is the most important thing in her life, but this encounter reminded me how easy it is to "... have no other gods before me." Exodus 20:1-3 and we all know who that "me " is. It is the Heavenly Father, our Lord God Almighty. We forget that these things that make us so available to man, make us unavailable sometimes to God and to the tender nudge on our heartstrings to do His work and give His message instead of our own.

I came home that day and asked God to renew my commitment to put Him first this year and to live my life for Him and through Him everyday. And, I think that other person probably did the same thing. I also watched the following evening as President Barak Obama spoke at the memorial service for those who died in Tucson last Saturday (January 8,2011) and was convicted by a number of his comments most importantly the passage where he said:

"So sudden loss causes us to look backward – but it also forces us to look forward, to reflect on the present and the future, on the manner in which we live our lives and nurture our relationships with those who are still with us. We may ask ourselves if we’ve shown enough kindness and generosity and compassion to the people in our lives. Perhaps we question whether we are doing right by our children, or our community, and whether our priorities are in order. We recognize our own mortality, and are reminded that in the fleeting time we have on this earth, what matters is not wealth, or status, or power, or fame – but rather, how well we have loved, and what small part we have played in bettering the lives of others."

Sometimes we get so caught up in the here and now that we forget about what is really important. I would love to be able to thank the President personally for reminding me that in the grand scheme of things what is important is the time I spend not with my gadgets or staying connected at work but loving those who have been placed in my life and realizing that none of them is there by accident. God ordains each move I make and put each of those people in my path for a reason. It is up to me how I choose to see them and what I choose for them to remember about me. Every life I touch, every child I love, every person I smile at and every student I impact is my legacy and that is what I want to focus on this year. Being the difference maker and being confident that when I stand before my maker one day in heaven I hear those glorious words "Well done good and faithful servant." Matthew 25:21.

I pray that you will make the choice this year to focus anew on what is truly important in your life, not the toys, not the gadgets, not the wealth or fame, but the impact you have on the lives of others and the peace that comes from living a life with purpose focused on God alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment